Pages

Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Epiphany

I know most people finished with Christmas on December 26th, but because of the hectic pace of my day job and because I put together the holiday services at my church, I've made a conscious decision to not give into the pre-Christmas panic but to celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas. The first day is Christmas Day and it goes through the next 11 days. Yesterday was day 12. Today is Epiphany, the day that traditionally celebrates the revelation of Christ's birth, and the end of the Christmas season for me.

Celebrating the 12 Days of Christmas was an epiphany of its own for me. Instead of trying to get everything done before the 25th, I had the freedom to knit some extra gifts and celebrate some birthdays (our family has 3-4 birthdays during the 12 days (if we include my daughter-in-law's sister).  On day 10 I delivered my last gifts and didn't fret about them being late. Next year I'll be even more intentional about birthdays, parties, and even write and mail my Christmas cards after the 25th.

My mind turns to Easter. Yes, my Christmas tree still sits in my living room, but Easter is only 88 days away. This is the Winter version of listening to Christmas music in August. I need to pick songs, create arrangements, and teach the choir their parts. Three months is not enough. I'm listening to Easter music as I cast on the hat that I finished last night and frogged today. I have matching mittens on another set of needles. I may be thinking about Easter and Spring, but it's 19ยบ right now and I have a new coat that needs matching hat and mitts.

The theme for my knitting this season was #KnittinMittens. I made 9 mitten/hat sets, an extra pair of mittens to match a coat, plus 7 lone hats, which brings me to one final thought. I went through my Amazon Wish List for my Secret Santa and bought a couple things that have been lingering for a few years. One of them was Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitter's Almanac. I borrowed it from the library a few years ago and wanted the mitered mittens pattern. Those are the mitts I have on my needles right now. The last of my #KnittinMittens tag of the season. It's time to wrap it up.

Happy Epiphany Christ is born.

No comments: