Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Thinking about thinking

Things I've been thinking about this holiday season:

  1. Get my to craft list done much earlier next year if only because other people have things they want me to do (make a stack of hats, play the piano for Christmas Eve) and they may not think to ask me sooner. Some have said I should just say no, but it gives me joy to say yes. The answer, then, is to be prepared for surprises.
  2. Craft more. I still bought more than I feel comfortable with. Stalking Pinterest and Tumblr have given me all kinds of ideas for crafty things beyond knitting, crocheting, and sewing.
  3. Ship early. Having the shipping dates on my calendar was a plus. This was probably the first year in nearly 30 where I haven't been up late wrapping, cooking, crafting on Christmas Eve. This needs to be a new tradition.
  4. Celebrate the 12 days of Christmas. Our culture likes to start celebrating Christmas at Thanksgiving and then pack it away before the New Year. Start Christmas with Christmas Eve and end it at Epiphany as it the tradition and enjoy something each day. We've gotten away from understanding the holiday. I want to get back to it.

No comments: