Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

I Got the E-reader Blues.

I want an e-reader.

IMG_5584.jpg
Just part of my collection.
It's stupid really. For the last several years I haven't read more than 2 books a year, and that might be stretching things. Never mind that I have 3 bookshelves filled with books, or that i have a history of being a voracious reader. I just don't read anymore.

I can't justify the purchase of an e-reader. At least not reasonably. I just upgraded my phone, and if I'd been wise, I could have gotten a much cheaper phone AND an e-reader for the same amount of money. Yet I try to rationalize the need for one.

  • I'd read more if I had it.
  • I could get rid of my real-book library and go digital
  • I would have fewer possessions if I didn't own all these books
  • What could be more minimalist that having e-books?
Go ahead and Gibbs slap me now. Truth of the matter is, I want another new toy. As if all the tech I already have isn't enough. 

I had a conversation with an online acquaintance about selling some of my books. I know that one or perhaps two are worth some real money. The rest are worth more as a tax write off when I donate them to the library. After talking with her, I looked at the shelves of unread books that I would sell and realized, I still want to read most of them. It makes no sense to replace them with e-books, especially if I have to purchase new ones. 

IMG_4991.jpgSo here's the new plan:  I'm going to sort out the books that I know won't read and then I'll start reading what's left. When I can get this collection down to one bookshelf, I'll consider the possibility of buying an e-reader, but not before. 

This weekend I start our October tradition: Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury.

1 comment:

Lizabeth S. Tucker said...

I thought the same thing right before I bought my first eReader. At first, it was a few digital and the occasional paper book. But as I got into the joy and delight of eReading, I found myself slowing getting rid of my physical books in favor of a digital version, as long as it was reasonably priced (less than $2 or free, in some cases). *come to the dark side!*

I think I'm reading more now due to the wonderfulness of eReaders. I can pick the font size, no pages falling out, no huge books that are hard to hold, no large purses or tote bags to carry physical books, the ability to read fanfiction on my eReader, no skanky covers so no one knows what I'm reading, no lost bookmarks...well, I think you get the point. And one more thing, the number of free books in digital can help you not spend as much on books. PLUS you can download/borrow ebooks, depending on your local library and the type of reader you own.