Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Walking in the Light

When the hubs and I got married his family was into a multi-level marketing program, big time. Not that any of us made a lot of money at it, but we drew those crazy circles like we were spreading the Gospel, trying to convert as many people as we could to...I hesitate to say what I'm thinking...The Dark Side. Not that it was The Dark Side at the time, but I was the first to see the light.

Photo by arielmeow.
We were taught to dream big. To see ourselves in, and even to test drive, shiny new cars (my personal favorite was the Cadillac Seville), go to the Parade of Homes and wander through McMansions, or RV shows to see how the cool kids recreate. Before long, I realized that all that wishful thinking did was to create discontent. We no longer were happy with what we had. We only wanted bigger, newer and equated that with better. Sure, discontent was the purpose of the exercise. If you want it badly enough, you can achieve it. But I didn't like feeling that what I had was never good enough. Not one little bit. It wasn't long before I gave up on the MLM scheme and started trying to be content with what I had.

I just finished reading this blog "On Wanting Stuff."  It hit a chord, well maybe a couple. I've long ago given up going to the mall, stopped looking at most catalogs, ended magazine subscriptions. I do still browse Lehman's from time to time. But come on! How can a catalog for simple living be bad?

It wasn't until I read this blog that I realized how far I've come in finding contentment. I see the temptations and the failures. I look at how I can justify tempting purchases and think, "I'll never get there." Seems I'm much farther along than I thought. Sure, I still want an iPhone or in a pinch a Droid. Yes, I can justify an e-reader so I could get rid of some of my book collection. But, I haven't bought any of those things, and everyday I'm lightening the load a bit. I'm still moving out of the shadows and into the light.

Pardon me now while I go find another couple of boxes of stuff to give to charity.

No comments: