Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Are You a Trader?

As I've written over the past couple of posts, I've been reading articles from several bloggers on minimalism. I recognize the need to simplify my life and especially to pare down the amount of stuff I have and the number of distractions in my life. This weekend I heard this same message in a Beth Moore word study at Schottenstein Arena and from the pulpit at my church. When you start hearing it everywhere, you know you have to listen.

One of the things that Beth Moore mentioned was that if we are doing a thousand things, how can we expect to do any of them well? Wouldn't it be better to find one or two things and excel at those? I brag about working with 2 computers going with 4 workspaces each, yet I wonder why I feel like I have ADD when I try to only do one thing at a time. I find myself seeking the distraction.

When I think about focusing my energies, I start questioning all the stuff I own that is not part of that focus. I know that I have a pattern of changing hobbies and interests every two years or so, but that doesn't mean I have gotten rid of those materials. Anything that I do longer than that is usually something that I truly love. Looking at my stash, there aren't many things that fit that category.

A video we showed at church this morning suggests trading in the stuff and the distractions for something with meaning. This is where I'm heading. Are You A Trader?

No comments: